Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Yes, a Band

I'm a middle-aged man with a rock band. Groan, right? But fuck it - it's the most fun I get to have these days, and that's no small thing.  We've been playing for a couple of years, and no one has heard us. Well, a handful of friends and 'fake' groupies - female friends.  It's been a good wood-shedding time for us.  We started off rather stinky.  Nothing cohered, we sloughed off song structure,  too much wasted time, etc.  But now, I like what I'm hearing. 

It's a covers band, OK? Leave me alone, alright? A power trio, no less. But I'd like to think our song selection isn't quite so bar-band predictable.  Yes, there's Zeppelin - but it's 'The Rover,' not 'Stairway' or whatnot. Yes, there's Sabbath, but it's 'Into The Void.'  And so on.  Now, I'm anxious to take it out and play for more than one person at a time.  This is a bit of a negotiation with my band mates, however.  It's funny, but getting the gumption to play a gig is leap of faith that not everyone is willing to take. I say, let the chips fall into the beer, and full speed ahead. I'm curious to see if we can make hay out of all this noise.  

No comments: